Country Club CO Real Estate
The Country Club Historic District was developed in conjunction with the Denver Country Club, located to the south of the district, which is located across First Avenue (Speer Boulevard). The layout of the neighborhood offers a combination of different streetscape configurations combined with parkways and spacious home sites with deep setbacks in the area. During the first years of this century, a group of wealthy men organized the Overland Park Club and changed the name to the Denver Country Club. In 1902, the sale of 120 acres along Cherry Creek was made into the club, and on the same day this group incorporated the Fourth Avenue Realty Company and purchased the land to the north which was to be developed for housing. Read More...
Dates of the various additions that make up the Country Club Historic District are indicative of the pace of development.
Park Club Place: filed in two portions—1905 and 1907
East of Downing to Humboldt and North from Speer to Fourth Ave
Country Club Annex: amended between 1924 and 1927
East of High to Gaylord and North from Speer to Fourth Ave
Park Lane Square: filed in 1926
Area to the north of Fourth Avenue from East of High to University and North to Sixth Avenue.
Although Country Club Place was the first addition to be designed, Park Club was the first to receive development. The area generally developed from west to east with examples of 20th century styles, primarily Denver Square homes with elaborate detailing, concentrated in the western portion of the district and later examples of revival styles, as well as newer structures to the east. Most of the development occurred in the early 1900s (1910s and 1920s), with many of the houses being showcases for Denver architects during this time period. The eastern half of the district began developing in the 1920s, but many of the lots remained vacant until after World War II.
In 1979, recognition of Country Club's significance was first made when the western half of the district was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Finally, in 1990, the Country Club Historic District was designated as a Landmark District. Today, the L-shaped district includes 380 residences and was found to qualify as a landmark district because of its historical, architectural, and geographical significance.
Historical significance relates to its association with Denver's social, political, and economic elite, including figures such as Mayor Robert Speer, founders of most of Denver's major banks, and heads of some of Denver's major mining, oil, sugar, and real estate companies. It also is representative of exclusive residential development of the time.
The district incorporates some of Denver's finest collection of masterpieces including architectural influences from Colonial, French Chateau, Tudor, Santa Fe and Georgian to remarkable Denver Squares, large bungalows and distinct Victorians, as well as other early 20th century eclectic revival styles. Also, many of these homes were designed by Denver's most prominent architects including Fisher and Fisher, Benedict, Biscoe, Gove and Walsh, and Varian and Sterner.
Still today, these exquisite neighborhood homes remain some of the city's more sought after for that perfect urban lifestyle, proximity to downtown Denver, Cherry Creek, and numerous city parks.
Also, please consider registering for a free account to receive automatic email notifications when new homes and condos hit the Denver, CO market and save your favorite properties for quick and easy access next time you visit the site. Show Less...